The first Bestbier arrived at The Cape of Good Hope in 1737 as paymaster of the Garrison. A few years later, he was one of the first free burgers to receive a farm from Governor Van Der Stel at Langebaanway.
In 1928 Pieter’s grandfather, P.J. Bestbier (Pieter) bought the farm, Goede Hope, that later changed to Goede Hoop. He rebuilt the cowsheds into a wine cellar that received a Superior award for blended wines produced here. Goede Hoop was the first farm to receive this accolade.
In 1957 Pieter’s Father, P.J. Bestbier (Johan), took over the reins from his grandfather and in 1969 he joined Bergkelder as an independent estate.
In 1979, Pieter matriculated from the Hoër Landbouskool Boland, after which he joined the army for two years in Youngsfield. He then went off to study in Oudtshoorn and received his higher education Diploma in Agriculture. He was a regular first team Rugby player for several clubs and also played a few matches for the SWD invitation team.
Pieter worked as a teacher at Voortrekker High in Wynberg for two years. In 1988 Pieter worked at Bergkelder for six months during harvest and in June 1988 he joined his father on Goede Hoop Wine Estate until 1993, when he retired. His father moved to Strand and lived there until his passing in 2014.
During his time spend with his father, he obtained many wine tasting courses and also received his Diploma 2 at The Cape Wine Academy.
Pieter’s love for nature and the quiet that accompanies it together with the beauty of the Karoo, inspired him to buy a farm near Leeu Ghamka, which he visits regularly to take a well-deserved breather and enjoy the openness of the land and the beautiful stars in the night sky.